There wasn't much yardage to this charming Halloween cotton from one of my dearly departed Joann Hauls, but this purple and black polka dot print was crying out to become a skirt. I had to do it!
Not wanting to repeat the shortchanged mistakes of my original Black and Orange Polka Dot Apron, I used the center panel and two pleated side panels from my tried and true 5 Skirts 1 Pattern Butterick 6196. Purple is my winter color, so I wanted this shorter, about the same tea length as my Orange Tablecloth Skirt so to not drag on the ground. However, the anxiety was real as I willed myself into cutting the material seemingly too short. I wanted to add a pre-made black ruffle trim from my stash to the hemline with a black satin ribbon border – just to give the bottom some kick because this wasn't going to be a super full but more a-lined skirt. Going against sewing order, I worked on this hem while the skirt pieces were open and flat. Unfortunately, this black on black hand stitching took forever! What should have been a week's project to wear in January dragged out across the months as 2026 worn on and my health declined ultimately to an Intracranial Hypertension diagnosis. The excess fluid pooling in my brain created swelling and pressure on my optic nerve, making this my usual standard finite black stitching almost impossible for me to see. I returned to this skirt off and on, displeased with myself for making some stitches larger and unsightly noticeable on what should have been a simple hem. I guess from far away it still looks nice?
Of course at some point, I decided I did want more volume after all. Two leftover triangle side pieces had become the waistband, and after the first try on with several back pleats, the skirt just didn't seem swooshy enough. Despite my concerns about that first Black and Orange Polka Dot pattern mishap, I used the remaining strip of purple fabric as two more angled back panel pieces for the skirt. I basted then ironed as I went finishing these new seams, but adding new back panels also meant, yes you guessed it, more black hem trim! I still had plenty of the ribbon and ruffle but once again I created more time consuming, hand sewing pain for myself. I drove my husband crazy by replacing the regular table lamp bulbs with harsh 100 watt bright white daylight bulbs in a feeble attempt to see my black stitching better. Fortunately, there were no seam issues and pattern matching problems with the new back panels. The extra material did mean the waistband was short, so the last large purple scrap extended the waistband in the back. Thrift interfacing stiffened the interior waistband before running back stitches and securing top stitches with a “Heather Grape” thrift thread cone went much easier than the black on black sewing. I wasn't worried about any seams and pattern lines in the waistband or an ugly inside that no one would see, appreciating that the flat front showcased the polka dots while the back pleats hid the extra piecing seams with a bustle effect. I still have a few strips of the purple and black polka dot fabric that could be fun cuffs or a collar for a black blouse, but one sewing project at time.
A scarce purple button from my Thrift Button Jar and a surprisingly decent hand sewn button hole finished this overdue and arduous skirt at last – six months after I started and out of my intended winter wearing season. This is unlined and the lightweight cotton wrinkles very easily, but this is meant for layering over my oft worn black ruffle skirt with chunky boots for modern, snowy walking skirt vibes. Obviously there are things I might have done differently, using a backing fabric to add support and/or drape or striping the scarce purple polka dots with black material for more gathering flounce. A press with spray starch may also help nix those wrinkles in the future. I have other me made purple skirts and if I actually stuck to the skirt a week timetable, I could fill my whole wardrobe and clear my fabric stash! After the mixed reception of my DIY Holiday Projects, I had a new 2026 sewing outlook to stop creating for others and instead adventure for myself. Of course, the increasing health disruptions had other plans, and my usual one stitch at a time therapeutic was easier said than done for what should have been a very simple project. I expected to hate this skirt as a reminder of all the turmoil that came with it but now that it's finished, I still think it's really cute! It's not perfect but it is done – a wearable and whimsical positive in an otherwise turbulent year.

No comments:
Post a Comment