Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Easy Thrift Fixes! 💪🏻

 

So often we dismiss clothes that don't quite fit, passed on or left to toil in our closet when a few trick tweaks or simple sewing changes can make a garment feel just right. These are two easy examples from my closet that anyone can fix.



Unlike my me-made Black and White Polka Dot Dress and my unofficial quest to make all things polka dot, I was amazed to find these wide leg black and white polka dot pants at Goodwill for $7. I did not think they existed in the wild! I love the wide waistband and stretchy fit that hides my problem gut, and of course I traced a pattern of these comfy pants for future use. However, I am short, one size does fit all, and these polka dot pants were a little too long. Long enough that instead of looking snazzy, they felt kind of silly being so huge and cumbersome. Fortunately, I braved the fabric shears and cut off the excess! Then it was time to break out the iron and trusty $3 hem tape, turning up the raw edge for a new smooth finish. Granted this stretchy fabric was a little tricky with the hem tape at the inseams, but with a wide leg pattern like this, who's going to notice a wonky dot? The stretchy material was a bit more unwieldy in re-purposing the cut off excess, but I put the inside outs together and zipped them through the sewing machine before pulling everything through right sides out and pressing it all flat. Now I have a sweet little matching polka dot tie belt! Again where the seams were sewn together might be a little uneven, but it's such a showstopping ensemble, it doesn't matter. This could all also have been done with tiny beginner hem sewing and running back stitches, so there's no need for anyone to trip over a pair of pants that can become totally fantastic with one small change.



Of course, I needed to take a dose of my own sewing inspiration to finally fix this clumsy strappy black damask column dress that's been in my closet for years. I maybe wear this thrift find once each August with my
Black and White Bobbles thanks to its confusing fit – a loose, open bust line that I practically fall out of with a bodycon skirt that's too long. Perhaps this was meant for a taller smaller bust model, but a few sewing hacks can make this dress work. Several stitches pinching at the bodice cross point helps close that bra line dip, and two inches up with the good old hem tape was easy enough at the ironing board. As a short person however, I've often discovered hemming is not enough and that a whole garment should go up at the shoulders. Here with only summer straps, it's ridiculously easy to take an inch out of the shoulder and re-sew the seam with a tight running back stitch. Voila, everything's in the right place!





There are more complicated thrift alterations waiting in my closet and mending that should be done, but there's no need for anyone to put off these easy sewing rescues. These aren't couture event garments that need tailored fittings or expensive seamstress alterations. With affordable thrift finds or older clothing, these simple adjustments are guilt-free, feel-good savers for any wallet, body size, or sewing experience.



For more project photos, visit Kbatz Krafts on Facebook or Instagram and follow us on Blue Sky for the latest DIY adventures. Peruse the Kbatz Krafts Archive for more sewing escapades including: 


Cheap Elsa Costume

Orange Tablecloth Skirt

Sewing on a Budget for Search Magazine



No comments:

Post a Comment